Saturday, January 29, 2011

Tres Leches cake

In White Center, there is a bakery called the Salvadorean Bakery that serves the most delicious tres leches cake I have ever had. It's been a staple in my family for birthdays and the occasional weeknight treat when everyone needs a pick-me-up. For Camila's birthday, I decided to try my hand at this delicacy. The cake was devoured that night, and I had to force everyone's forks away for two minutes so I could snap a photo. This is a very rich cake, but the moisture makes it impossible to stop eating. Often, there is also a liqueur poured in with the tres leches mixture at the end, but I opted out on this occasion, sticking with the traditional.


Ingredients
(the least vegan cake you'll ever make)
1 C white sugar
5 egg yolks
5 egg whites
1/3 C milk
1 t vanilla
1 C all-purpose flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
12 oz. can evaporated milk
1 pint heavy whipping cream

Directions
Preheat oven to 350˚F. Butter and flour a 9-inch springform pan (I don't have one here, so I just used a 9-inch cake pan). In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks with 3/4 C sugar until doubled in volume. Add in milk, flour, baking powder, and vanilla and mix well. In a smaller bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form, and then slowly beat in the rest of the sugar. Fold egg whites into batter, and pour into pan. Bake for 45 minutes.
While cake bakes, mix 1/4 C whipping cream, condensed milk, and evaporated milk together. Discard approximately one cup of this mixture, a little less if you'd like your cake even more moist. Let cake cool, and then pierce the top all over with a fork. Pour milk mixture over the top slowly until absorbed. Place in refrigerator. Whip the rest of the whipping cream with a bit of sugar and vanilla, and then frost the cake with whipped cream. Garnish with fruit and serve chilled.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment